Ever struggled to find the perfect pair of prescription sunglasses? Then you’ll be pleased to hear that you can turn almost all of our glasses frames into prescription sunglasses – all we do is add a sun tint with UV or polarising lenses. So you can get your own pair of customised prescription sunglasses. Here’s how it works.
What are the benefits of turning prescription frames into sunglasses?
Sunshine is here, and so is the need for a stylish pair of prescription sunglasses. If you haven’t been able to find your perfect pair of prescription sunglasses that are both stylish and functional, then turning a pair of clear glasses frames into sunglasses is the route to go.
You can choose from a huge range of frames, including our designer collections, which can be different or the same as your current glasses. In various shapes and sizes, from round and retro specs to oversized, gold metallic frames, you’re sure to find a look that suits your needs, personality and style.
What sun lens treatments are available to choose from?
Sun tint and UV lens treatment
To make sure the lenses provide a good amount of sun protection, they should have a UV filter. Our sun tint with UV is designed to block harmful UVA and UVB light rays, making your lenses 100% UV resistant. The UV filter is added as part of the tinting process to ensure full protection from the sun’s rays. Once we add the filter, we always measure it with a UV lens analyser to measure its level of protection and make sure its safe. Find out more about why you need UV protection here.
Our sun tint with UV filter is available in three stylish colours — brown, grey and green. Alongside offering UV protection, these lenses can also relieve eye strain, soften harsh, bright lights and help you to see clearly in bright conditions.
If you spend a lot of time driving, or around water (for hobbies such as fishing), you might benefit from polarising lenses. Unlike standard sunglasses lenses, polarising lenses eliminate glare from horizontal surfaces such as roads, water and snow, while enhancing the contrast of your vision. Polarising lenses provide 100% UV protection and can be easily added to whichever frames you fancy.
If you move regularly between outdoors and indoors or don’t want to worry about forgetting your sunglasses at home, you might want to try Reactions lenses. These canchange your regular prescription glasses into 2-in-1 sunglasses, by using special technology that reacts to light. The lenses are clear indoors but become dark like sunglasses when they come into contact with bright sunlight. Reactions lenses offer 100% UVA and UVB blockage, helping to keep your eyes protected in all conditions.
How to turn your chosen frames into prescription sunglasses
- First thing’s first, have a look through our range of frames and pick out your favourite style. Remember, they can be any frames you like the look of, even if they’re displayed with clear lenses. If you need some help deciding, use our try-on tool to help you find a pair that suits you best.
- Once you’re happy with your chosen frames, it’s time to customise them. If you’re buying online, click the ‘Choose Lenses & Buy’ button.
- You can then fill out your prescription details. If you can’t remember your details or don’t have your prescription to-hand, get in touch with your local store here. If you’re buying them in store, your optician will take care of this step for you.
- You’ll then be given the option to choose a sun tint and UV in either grey, brown or green, for an additional price.
- Once you’ve decided on your colour, lens thickness and additional treatments (including polarising) you can add your new prescription sunglasses to your basket.
- If you’re buying online, your new sunglasses will be with you in roughly 10 working days. Then you’ll be ready for the sun.
If you’re looking for a classic sunglasses style, look no further than pilot-style or metal frames. When made into sunglasses, the contrast between gold and silver metallic rims and dark tinted lenses gives an effortlessly cool aesthetic.
You can never go wrong with the clubmaster-style silhouette. 50s styling brought right up to date, brow-line glasses are timeless retro classics, both as prescription glasses or sunglasses. Choose a tortoiseshell colourway for a truly iconic look
You can turn almost any pair of our glasses frames into prescription sunglasses, so you’re bound to find the perfect pair for you. Browse our frames and use our virtual try-on tech to see how they look on you. For more advice on choosing glasses, visit ourbuyer’s guide, or head to our #LoveGlasses blog for some style inspiration.