Help and frequently asked questions

What do I do if I lose my hearing suddenly?


If you think you have sudden hearing loss in one or both ears, see your GP as soon as possible.

Unless the problem is just a blockage caused by a wax build-up, which can be removed in the GP’s surgery, you should ask your GP for an urgent referral to an ear, nose and throat (ENT) specialist. This is particularly important if your GP also discovers that you have a perforated eardrum, discharge from your ears or if you are feeling dizzy.

If you cannot see your GP and have severe sudden hearing loss, you should go to your nearest accident and emergency department. It is very likely that the hospital will have an ENT department. An ENT specialist should carry out detailed tests to assess the degree and type of hearing loss you may have. You may need to stay in hospital for appropriate treatment or you may be treated as an outpatient.